Learn to Curl
Due to high demand and scheduling availability of past participants, the BCC is offering 3 Learn to Curl (LTC) options for the 2019-2020 curling season:
- LTC Sunday League - this is our traditional 6-Sunday League comprised of 2-hour sessions on Oct 27, Nov 3, Nov 10, Nov 17, Dec 8 and Dec 15. Participants will learn the skills and strategy needed to become active recreational curlers. As well, you’ll be introduced to the club and the social aspects of the sport. In the end you will be able to curl safely, effectively and be able to join the fun with several leagues. This option is the most comprehensive and it provides new curlers with knowledge and confidence to participate in any of the many BCC recreational leagues.
- LTC Evening - if you want to join a league right away, or you are not available Sundays, learn on our 3-night LTC Evening sessoins on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (8-10 October) from 6:30 to 8:30 pm each evening. It is not as comprehensive as the Sunday League but will enable you to curl safely and acquire a great starting point to join many of our recreational leagues. Participants can continue to improve by accessing BCC's free instructional clinics throughout the year.
- LTC Camp - another option to join a league right away is to curl on the new LTC Weekend Camp October 5 and 6, 9:30 am to 3:30 pm. In the two days we will be on the ice close to 8 hours, and in the classroom and lunch room to properly learn the game of curling.You will be able to slide out safely, sweep effectively and have the ability to join many of the leagues. A great "starter kit" we hope becomes a staple at the BCC.
*Please note, dates and times are subject to change.
- Cost: $100. Great value for instruction and ice time. Best of all, if you become a member of the BCC, we will credit that amount to your initiation fee (which is also $100...it's all covered!!).
- Register at the club or by email. You can join at the Open House September 25th from 3 pm to 9 pm. REGISTER EARLY - IT WAS OVERBOOKED LAST YEAR.
- Registration for LTC is NOT online. Forms can be submitted by email; and payment arranged with our manager (email below) or in person at the club or through the Open House.
- All equipment - grippers, slider and broom are provided. In addition we have curling extenders should you have knee or back problems and can't throw a rock using a slide. This game is inclusive and anyone can join.
- Before the course we will send an email to you to let you know exactly what to bring while conducting the clinics.
- We also visit the lounge following each game and experience the social aspect of curling.
For more information:
- Learn to Curl Application
The new Development League follows the Learn To Curl and will include graduates of the Learn to Curl and club members who want to develop their curling skills. The league fulfills two purposes:
- Graduates from Learn To Curl may continue their curling journey with the Development League as well as taking part in the 3rd draw of some of the leagues. The league integrates them more with existing members and gives an opportunity to play with experienced curlers as they would with other leagues.
- Club members can join the Development League to brush up on skills and have the opportunity to learn new skills. For example someone who plays second can learn strategy and call a game so they can become a vice or skip when ready.
The Development League will provide strategy sessions, bring in club coaches and competition coaches, and provide new resources so that we can expand our talents and make the game more fun. The next session of the Development League will start in January 2020.
For more information:
- Development League Application for LTC graduates.
- Development League Application for current members.
Volunteering and Coaching